Re: [Shop-talk] Trash compactor uses

To: Shop Talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Trash compactor uses
From: Wayne <wmc_st@xxiii.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2008 09:26:43 -0500
RandE wrote:
> I'm replacing an old trash compactor.  It still seems to work but the wife
> says it doesn't match the rest of the kitchen.  It was here when we bought
> the house and we've made some updates so it has to go.  If I move it out the
> shop, any ideas what it could be used for?

Wow, that's interesting...  in the 1970s & 80s compactors were quite the
popular item in kitchens of high-dollar homes;  but I haven't seen one
on display at the fancy (expensive) local appliance store, let alone
Lowes in *years*.

The folks that are now my in-laws had one 20 years ago, and I remember
thinking it was rather unimpressive, even pointless.

IIRC, the things just have a screw-driven compactor plate.  Can't think
of anything fun or crazy to convert it into.  It didn't even crunch
trash that well.

Just looked at Lowes.com and the things are *expensive*.  If yours still
works and the wife wants to continue to have one, maybe you could update
the faceplate?  www.Sears.com has a good appliance parts site -- might
be able to get a different color/finish panel.  Or just spray paint it.
  Or various Ebay sellers have "faux stainless steel" contact paper
stuff for appliances.

   -Wayne