Re: [Shop-talk] GFCI Question

To: Battmain <battmain@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] GFCI Question
From: Pat Horne <roadsters@hornesystemstx.com>
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2008 18:52:43 -0600
Make sure that the black and white wires that you have connected to each
side are in the same cables. If you have them crossed (black from line
and white from load together, etc.), and there is something plugged into
and turned on in one of the load outlets it can cause this kind of problem.

If you have a volt meter, measure across each pair of wires to see which
pair has power on it. Check the other one to be sure it doesn't. If you
don't have a volt meter, try hooking up only one set of wires and see if
the green light comes on. If it does, you should be able to push the
test button and the GFCI will click and the light will go out. Try the
same thing with the other pair of wires. I think you will find that only
one pair is hot.

If the power is connected to the line side of the GFCI and the GFCI is
tripped whatever is plugged into the GFCI should not work. If it does,
you have it wired backwards.

I'm still betting on crossed wires line to load.

Peace,
Pat

Thusly spake Battmain:

--
Pat Horne, Owner, Horne Systems
(512) 797-7501 Voice            5026 FM 2001