[Shop-talk] GFCI Question

To: shoptalk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] GFCI Question
From: Battmain <battmain@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 11:59:32 -0800 (PST)
Workiing on trying to figure out why my grandmothers dishwasher wasn't
working. Outlet under the sink both had power. In the process of
troubleshooting, found a tripped GFCI and thought that was part of the
problem. It wasn't...separate problem according to my testing. Since she will
be remodeling soon, we are going to forget about the dishwasher, so figured
I'd replace the GFCI. Old outlet had only a single slot on the front for
power. On the back, there are labels line1 and load on the old outlet. The new
one has two outlets on the front. I cannot find any replacement with just a
single outlet like the old one. (Maybe I need to look harder and make my life
simple.)  On back, there is a tape that says not to hook up anything until
after testing. If I hook up the line terminals to either set of wires, the
outlet works as it is supposed to by allowing me to set, test and it works as
it is supposed to. The little green light goes off when tripped. If I hook up
both sets of wires, according to the instructions, the circuit is wired wrong
because the green light is still on when tripped.

Does this mean I have two line wires going to the box?  (scratches head)

Brian
battmain@yahoo.com