Re: [Shop-talk] Wireless router - signal boost

To: shoptalk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Wireless router - signal boost
From: Battmain <battmain@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 13:56:48 -0800 (PST)
--- Wayne <wmc_st@xxiii.com> wrote:
(snip)
> We installed NetStumbler;  a wi-fi sniffing utility with many and
> varied uses that identifies all available wireless networks.  He got a
> strong signal at the end of my 200' driveway, and could still connect down
> the road at probably 500' away!  On a 5 mile drive through somewhat rural
> country, it identified 13 networks;  only one appeared to be secured.
(snip)

One of the intriguing things about this utility...Even if you're not
broadcasting your SSID, it can identify it. It can also tell what
type of encryption is being used (if any). Based on what I know about
security, even the latest one is capable of a brute force attack.
I saw one report of being able to get into routers that use that
and mac address lists too.

Brian
battmain@yahoo.com