Re: [Shop-talk] Trickle Chargers

To: shoptalk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Trickle Chargers
From: Battmain <battmain@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 04:52:35 -0800 (PST)
I'm using one of the solar chargers from HF. It was
the large one for $40. It seems to work. I've put the
voltmeter on it with a load and it ranges from
12.6-13.0. I'm going to get another one for the truck
which runs down the battery in about 8 days. It uses
clamps though. I run the wire between the fender and
the door, then lock the solar section inside the cabin.

I don't see why you'd go through the trouble of
modifying the charger. There are units that attach
one end to the bolts on the battery semi-permanently.
The other side can be attached to the car somewhere and
then all he has to do is run an outdoor cord to
the car. Google on Battery Minder to see some of
the units. I've seen similar units in sears also. I
use the cheapo HF units, but I do not leave them plugged
in permanently. They also don't last in my experience.
I have two sitting waiting to be taken apart. If it's
just a transistor or regulator that's blown in the unit,
I may just replace it, but I figure later on I can use
the clamps for something else. At $4.99 each, the part
may cost more than a new unit.

Brian
battmain@yahoo.com