[Shop-talk] Storing Stuff in Garage "Attic"

To: shop talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] Storing Stuff in Garage "Attic"
From: Jim Stone <jandkstone99@msn.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2007 20:10:14 -0600
I am running out of storage space in my garage.  I could create more just by
getting rid of some of the stuff that I know I'll never use, but that's no
fun.  I'd like to turn the space above the ceiling trusses into 'dead' storage
for car parts that I am keeping 'just in case'.  Unfortunately, I didn't think
of this when we designed the garage a few years ago and the trusses are just 2
x 4's attached to each other with metal joining plates (I assume they have a
more technical name).  The total length is 20 feet, which is achieved by
joining a 2 x 12 to a 2 x 8; these are butt joints with a plate on each side.
I know these trusses aren't designed to carry a heavy load, but how much can I
put up there without worrying about the whole thing falling down?  Can I
reinforce it?  I'm not thinking about anything too heavy, but could easily end
up with 3-400 pounds spread across multiple trusses.

Any advice appreciated and I absolve anyone from any legal obligations should
things come tumbling down.

Thanks,

Jim