Re: [Shop-talk] Craftsman impact set and Suburban issues

To: rfraser@bluefrog.com
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Craftsman impact set and Suburban issues
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 14:05:09 -0800
> How about just letting up on the brakes a bit when
> you sense slippage?

Then what exactly do you do when one or two wheels are slipping, but the
others are not ?  Use more pressure to bring the remaining wheels to their
optimum stopping power, while locking (and losing most of the stopping power
of) the other wheels ?  Or use less pressure to avoid locking the wheels
with less traction ?

I'm not a big fan of ABS myself, as it seems to slow down initial
application of the brakes.  But I don't think you can beat it when differing
conditions (including load distribution) change how much stopping power each
wheel can provide.

Likely this doesn't affect Jill; but I've noticed that most SUV drivers
around here pay no attention to the fact they are driving a 3 ton truck with
a high center of gravity, rather than a 1 ton car with a low center of
gravity.

Randall