Re: [Shop-talk] Does the ground ground?

To: Shop Talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Does the ground ground?
From: Wayne <wmc_st@xxiii.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2007 11:11:10 -0500
JAMES STONE wrote:
> I replaced a porch light today and discovered that it was only wired with 14-2
> wire without a ground.  Since the light pole is set in concrete and buried in
> the ground, is it grounded?  Just curious.

I doubt it.  You might be able to disconnect the neutral side and stick
an am-meter between it and the fixture and see how much current flows,
or if a break/fuse pops.  On 2nd thought, I wouldn't know how to
interpret the results and you might damage yourself or the wiring.

You can supposedly hook up a GFCI breaker to protect a 2-wire circuit,
but I don't know details on how to do it.

   -Wayne