Re: [Shop-talk] relationship advice, (it's shop related, really!)

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] relationship advice, (it's shop related, really!)
From: ericm@lne.com
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2007 09:50:26 -0800
I have the same problem with cycling.  Training for bike racing
takes up most of my spare time- up to 15 hours a week in season.

I was into cycling and motorcycles when I met my wife, so
she knew about it ahead of time.  But the last couple years I
have gotten obsessed with a particularly difficult race
(the Everest Challenge- everestchallenge.com) which
has required more training than just doing centuries and
the Death Ride.

So far we're still together.

I've tried to set aside time to spend with her doing stuff that
she likes.  Well, stuff that we both like, but making sure
that it's definately stuff she likes.  I went so far as to arrange
a long weekend getaway to a B&B right in the middle of my buildup
to the EC, and didn't bring a bike.  The couple days off the bike
came when I needed a break, and not bringing a bike meant that I
could relax with her.

Having her involved in my cycling to the extent that she wishes
(for some reason she likes coming to the Death Ride even though
she doesn't ride and only sees me go by once) helps too.
She's worked with me in the garage on her own bikes when I was working
on mine.

Being open about it and communicating is important.

So does picking a partner who is ok with not being entertained
every minute.  I've had girlfriends who threw compleye hissy fits
when I came home from a day hunting later than I said I was going to.
My wife, other than worrying about me being ok, wouldn't do that.   She's
got her own stuff that she's in to.

Eric