Re: [Shop-talk] plumping question

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] plumping question
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 06:12:35 -0800
> So, the
> time & expense to pull a toilet seem like more work than
> going down through the main vent.

Until of course, someone falls off (or worse, through) the roof.  Most
toilets come up surprisingly easy; just turn off the water, empty the tank,
disconnect the water line, and break off two bolts.  You have to replace the
bolts & wax ring every time, but they are cheap.

> We have quite a few trees and bushes around the sewer pipe.
> So my guess is that their roots got into the drain line.

I also live in a one-story ranch on a slab (although my drains have
cleanouts).  Thought tree roots were my problem too, especially since they
have damaged a wall & the front porch.  But the camera showed the main line
to be clean as a whistle, no sign of roots at all.  However, there are some
joints with a bit too much spacing, might be leaking, so the plumber tried
to convince me to replace the line from the house to the street, for 'only'
$10,000.

Perhaps I'm being foolish, but since it's only been a problem once in over
15 years, I figure I'll wait until it happens again.  Or at least until the
grass turns greener over the sewer line <G>

Randall