[Shop-talk] Update: Remote electric meter readout

To: 'Shop-Talk List' <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] Update: Remote electric meter readout
From: Doug Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 20:32:52 -0700 (PDT)
Hello,

I ended up buying a "TED 1000":

   www.theenergydetective.com

I'm quite happy with it.  It works well, it's well
made,  reasonably priced, and quite accurate (within
1-2% of my electric meter).

It consists of a pair of clamp-on current sensors to
measure the current in the main lines to your circuit
breaker panel, which plug into a little black box
connected to one of your circuits, which measures the
voltage and sends the voltage/current data through
your wiring to the readout unit (which can be plugged
in anywhere).

I discovered that my house has a baseline electricity
consumption of roughly 700 watts due to the
refrigerator,  a freezer, a dehumidifier, and all the
other always-on things plugged in to the outlets.
My garage lights need almost 500 watts, so I have
resolved to redouble my efforts not to leave them on
by mistake :-)

Doug