Re: [Shop-talk] Walkie-talkies

To: Charlie Schlismann <racegt6@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Walkie-talkies
From: Peter Murray <pete@partnercomm.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 14:51:46 -0400 (EDT)
I know that pro help is on the way, but I'll throw my amateur knowledge of
the subject into the mix...

On Wed, 26 Sep 2007, Charlie Schlismann wrote:

> I need to communicate with the guys in the shop that
> pays my bills.  I had the bright idea of two-way
> radios but am overwhelmed by the information I've
> gotten from the Internet.

Two-way sounds just fine - I'm assuming that a "party line" is not an
issue. FRS and GMRS radios would be an easy, inexpensive answer, but
you're technically not permitted to use them for a commercial purpose. The
"service" that would apply in your case would be MURS, and radios for that
are generally available for not too much. No license is required, etc.

Info from the FCC on MURS:
http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/index.htm?job=operations&id=multi_use

There are a bunch of radios out there you can pick up for not too much.
Check your local two-way radio store. Radio Shack does not appear to carry
MURS transceivers any longer.

Some other online sellers:
http://www.dakotaalert.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=56
http://www.rkleef.com/handhelds/fostek/murs502.html

> This is an old solid masonry factory (61,000 sq. ft.
> w/2 stories) with a couple of smaller, brick-walled
> interior shops. Eight to ten of us are roaming within
> a 40,000 sq.ft. area on the bottom floor 95% of the
> time.

That doesn't sound too large. These radios should perform fine in that
(relatively) small space.

> Need something light enough to be in a pocket or
> holstered.  We run and gun in a flourescently lit
> metal fab shop with arc welders, spot welders, cnc
> machines, etc.  Lots of buss ducts, too.
>
> I'd like to get something relatively cheap, easily
> replaceable and workable in our environment.

The radios above are all built with commercial durability in mind, and
they're inexpensive enough that if one suffers destruction, another can be
acquired for not too much - and you could stock a couple of spares.

> Too, I need to to bill it by Friday (end of our fiscal
> year).

Any of the online or local outfits should be able to set you up pretty
quickly!

-Peter

--
Peter Murray (N3IXY)