Re: [Shop-talk] Source (or alternative) for Phosphoric Acid

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Source (or alternative) for Phosphoric Acid
From: JAMES STONE <jandkstone99@msn.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 19:39:35 -0500
Thanks guys!  Great advice.  However, I have to confess to now feeling pretty
stupid about this message.  As soon as suggestions starting coming in I
realized that I had never bothered to check Home Depot or Lowes; I Googled
"Phosphoric Acid" without much success and just assumed that this would be a
specialty product.  After reading all of the readily available suggestions, I
decided to stop at HD on the way home from work today.  While there I bought a
gallon of Kwik Strip  Phosphoric Prep & Etch for $14.  (Its not on the ether
the HD or Kwik Strip websites, but here's a link to a place that sells it even
cheaper:
http://paint-and-supplies.hardwarestore.com/50-270-concrete-cleaners/phosphor
ic-plus-prep-and-etch-649831.aspx)

Now, the only thing I need to decide is which directions to follow.  For rust
removal, it says to use full strength, then drain, air dry and paint within 48
hours.  For etching, it says dilute with 3 parts water, rinse after use, and
paint within 48 hours.  The Hirsch product, which looks like a diluted version
of the Prep & Etch (although they smell different), says to use full strength,
air dry and coat.

My inclination is that if it can be painted without rinsing after full
strength use, it can be coated too.  But, since I am not feeling particularly
intelligent at the moment, I am open to suggestions.

Thanks again,

Jim