Re: [Shop-talk] Freon 22

To: "'Shop Talk'" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Freon 22
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2007 17:56:17 -0700
> Anyone familiar with something called "Enviro-Safe 22a"

Nope, never heard of it before.

> It's sold without need for licenses or certificates

I'm wondering if it's actually being sold legally that way.  Doesn't seem to
be listed on the EPA web site
http://www.epa.gov/Ozone/snap/refrigerants/REFLIST-20060928final.pdf
although that list is a year out of date.

>  Do a search for
> Enviro-Safe, there are a numbers of outfits selling this product.

The few that say anything about what it is, seem to agree that it is a
hydrocarbon.  Eg
http://www.sovereigngroup.org/AR/

However, the EPA says "It is illegal to use hydrocarbon refrigerants as CFC
or HCFC substitutes in motor vehicle air conditioning. "
http://www.epa.gov/Ozone/snap/refrigerants/qa.html

I did find one discussion board, where it's posted that ES-22a's physical
characteristics are an exact match for propane;
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=468525
 and another where someone said it was a blend of R290 (which I believe is
propane) and R600A.
http://www.refrigeration-engineer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=68039

Other than the legal aspect; if it is a blend of different gases, one
downside is that you shouldn't add gas to the system when it gets low.  One
gas will be more apt to leak than the other, so the balance will be upset if
you just add gas to compensate for a leak.

Randall