[Shop-talk] Dykes

To: "Mike Frerichs" <frerichs@tconl.com>, "shop-talk\""
Subject: [Shop-talk] Dykes
From: "john niolon" <jniolon@bham.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 12:37:42 -0500
from wikipedia...

Dykes - as in the phrase "a pair of dykes" - is jargon used especially in
the electrical industry, to describe diagonal pliers. It is a corruption of
"diagonal cutters". Dyke can also be used as a verb, such as in the idiom
"when in doubt, dyke it out." This implies that a problem can be simplified
by eliminating the unnecessary.