Re: [Shop-talk] Running electrical circuit though a foundation

Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Running electrical circuit though a foundation
From: PJ McGarvey <pj_mcgarvey@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 15:40:32 -0400
I just finished running wire for a subpanel to my detached garage in
conduit... (90 Amps in the shop now - yay!!)

1. My opinion would be not to drill any holes below grade in the foundation,
asking for leaks.  Maybe *just* above grade would be better.

2. plastic conduit is easy to work with, cheap, etc.  I would definitely do
that.  There are situations where you can use outdoor rated wire
but I would still go with the conduit - safer and you'll only need 1" or so
diameter conduit, cheap stuff and you'll already have a trench dug out.

3. plastic conduit needs to be buried 18".  Metal is 12" if I remember.

4. Schedule 40 and 80 are your choices - 80 is heavier duty for situations
where physical contact with the conduit might occur

The elbows you'll find for making turns with the conduit or large radius
elbows, which I assume is because it would be hard to pull wire through a
tight bend
so they don't bother.  But it makes for unsightly looking connections.   I
lucked out by coming through a basement window well frame (wood) underneath my
deck, so you couldn't see it if you tried.  But at the garage it's more
obvious, but then I also have it going 4 feet up the wall before it comes
through the wall directly into my subpanel...

Use the correct cement for electrical conduit, not the type you might use with
plumbing DWV pvc pipe.

I also purchased a trenching shovel for digging the narrow, deep trenches.
Alot easier than trying to use any other type of shovel for this purpose.

-PJ

> Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 11:49:04 -0700> From: wmgilroy@gmail.com> To:
shop-talk@autox.team.net> Subject: [Shop-talk] Running electrical circuit
though a foundation> > For some reason it was decide that we need a light in
the front yard on a> pole (lost that battle). I need to run a circuit to the
pole from the> inside of my house. I could run a conduit through the wood part
of the> outside wall but that would be ugly. I think my best choice would be
to put> a hole in the foundation, below the grade and run a conduit through
that> hole to the light pole. I have a couple of questions:> > > > 1. What is
the base way to drill a hole for a 1" conduit through a> poured concrete
foundation? Hammer drill rental?> > 2. I think the best solution is to run a
conduit the whole length and> then run 3 conductors inside the conduit. Any
opinions?> > 3. Anyone know what the code is about burying conduits? Need to>
surround the conduit with gravel?> > 4. What type of conduit is good
acceptable for being buried?> > > > Anything else I might have forgotten?> > >