Re: [Shop-talk] Question about: Arc-Fault Circuit Interrupters

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Question about: Arc-Fault Circuit Interrupters
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 17:08:22 -0700
>     Anyone else have any experience you'd like to share?

I don't.  But as an almost-EE, I do have a question.  They taught us at
Purdue that an electrical arc is a sort of plasma, with a very low
resistance (lower than copper as I recall).  So how exactly does one get an
arc to ground that will not trip a GFCI ?

I can see where a GFCI or a standard breaker would not be able to detect an
in-line arc, like might be created by a bad contact or a broken conductor.
But how often is that really a problem ?  Seems to me that it would fairly
quickly burn the wire back (ever tried welding with a pure copper electrode
?) until the arc went out ...

I'd be a lot more convinced if someone could point to an actual fire that
could have been prevented by an AFCI, but not a GFCI.  Or even explain how
an AFCI distinguishes between an intentional arc (eg brush sparks on a
universal motor) and an accidental one.  From the comments presented, it
appears that they can't reliably tell the difference.

Randall
(Tedious but unavoidable disclaimer follows)

CONFIDENTIALITY. This electronic mail and any files transmitted with it may
contain information proprietary to NavCom Technology, Inc., or one of its
affiliates, and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to
whom they are addressed, shall be maintained in confidence and not disclosed to
third parties without the written consent of the sender. If you are not the
intended recipient or the person responsible for delivering the electronic mail
to the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this electronic
mail in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying
of this electronic mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
electronic mail in error, please immediately notify the sender by return mail.