[Shop-talk] summary burnt smell in house

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] summary burnt smell in house
From: "mark@noakes.com" <mark@noakes.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 02:01:22 +0000 (UTC)
Since I haven't smelled the burnt smell in the house I reported
earlier, I guess I can make a summary statement for now.

It appears that it was a mix of several things at once...one of which
was not good but I'm not sure that it would have really caused a fire
or anything. First, I completely cleaned out the fireplace as well as
possible, then I got rid of my wife's favorite scented candles, and
then I went through most of the outlets and switches in the rooms where
the problem was showing up. I found a dimmer switch that was going bad
that was to the point of either all on or off...the dimmer part had
failed and it was running hot whenever the light was on.  Many of the
outlets had dust and cob webs in them as well, and I cleaned them up.
With any serious humidity, a short could have occurred there and been a
problem.

So I think the main problem was the dimmer with some confusing odor
masking coming from the fireplace now cleaned up and the darn candles
now relegated to the exercise room.

Mark Noakes