Re: [Shop-talk] Converting a lamp from U.S. to European voltage

To: Peter Schauss <schauss@worldnet.att.net>, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Converting a lamp from U.S. to European voltage
From: Doug Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 03:44:44 -0700 (PDT)
In my experience, USA-spec electrical stuff like
cords, plugs, switches, and lamp sockets are
better-made and more durable than European stuff.

The Europeans seem to have taken the attitude that
since 220-volts means that things use less current,
the wires can be thinner, and everything else can be
lighter and more plasticky, too.  Metal conduit or
junction boxes are almost unheard of, for example.

They also have a greater range in quality between
well- and cheaply-made stuff than you usually see here
(assuming you stay out of dollar stores).

Doug