Re: Argon?

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Argon?
From: Richard Beels <beels@technologist.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2007 21:25:52 -0500
How would you purge the tire first?   You're not pulling a vacuum
once the tire is mounted so you're not getting "pure" anything in
there anyways...

And as to gauges, there was a big comparison a few years ago in some
auto mag and the digital ones won - Griot's Garage and similar
styles.  It almost made me purchase something from GG.

But since I have 4 Accu-Gauges that are all within a pound of each
other, I'm good until I drop them a few more times.    I do think
that QC at Accu-Gauge has gone down since my brother-in-law has a 20
year old one that is still perfect and it's been in the track toolbox
for 15+ years and has been dropped and run over, etc...  He used to
work for Firestone and would check it against reference equipment
there and it looks like hell but reads perfect.  Mine are all maybe
7-10 years old all had to be tweaked when I got them but as long as I
don't drop them, they're good.  Of course, I'd be double-checking the
digital gauge as well.  Probably an artifact of the "does a man with
two watches ever know what time it is" paradox.

At 2/9/2007 at 08:13, Shakespearean monkeys danced on Steven W.
Reilly's keyboard and said:

>A thought:
>
>Would there be any benefit to filling my tires with 100%
>argon?   What advantages/disadvantages would there be over nitrogen?
>(or air for that matter)
>
>I'm sure I could fill up my tires using my Mig bottle if I really
>wanted to  (No I really don't - this could potentially be very
>dangerous if high pressures are involved!)
>
>Steve

Cheers!