RE: removing aftermarket radio?

To: <scott.hall@comcast.net>, "Shop Talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: removing aftermarket radio?
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2007 14:39:42 -0800
> my brother was kind enough to put a kenwood head unit in place of the
> crappy oem model.  now I'd like to get at the back of the thing, and
> I can't figure out how to do it.  the oem one slides out using those
> 'loop/coat hanger' tools on either side of the unit.  the aftermarket
> one doesn't seem to have holes for that.  is there some trick I'm
> missing, or are they all different?

They do vary, but most Kenwoods are the same.  There is a special thin tool, not
much more than a stick of sheet metal, that pushes in on either side of the
unit.  They depress a spring catch, and then the head slides out of it's cage
(which comes with the unit).  You may need to remove the faceplate first, and
spring the cage a tiny bit to get room to insert the tool.

I've attached a diagram from my instructions that might help.

Or, you can probably find the instructions for your unit on Kenwood's web site
http://www.kenwoodusa.com/

Randall

Kenwood.gif]