Gas Line Size

To: "Shop Talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Gas Line Size
From: "Bob Nogueira" <nogera@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 13:14:05 -0600
 We are putting in a new Gas Range. I had a plumber come out and move the
pipe to the location of the new range. The old range had a 3/4 inch pipe.
After he left I noticed that the new pipe is 1/2 inch. Checking out below
the house it appears that he put in a reducer at the elbow where the pipe
turns up into the house.
When I went to the hardware store the guy in plumbing said he had never
heard of a 1/2 inch pipe to feed a range, I  call to the plumber and he said
1/2 inch for such a short length would be plenty to serve the range.
I trust the guy at the hardware more than I do the flakey plumber.
Any one know if the 1/2 inch pipe is enough to supply a range which requires
65,000 BTU's ( all burners on) .
  The line from the meter is 3/4 inch ( 50 foot run from the meter)  and the
1/2 inch pipe is about one foot. Nothing else is feed from the line.

Thanks for any suggestions

Bob Nogueira