RE: small, inexpensive, good tablesaw

To: Shop-Talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: small, inexpensive, good tablesaw
From: Mark Andy <mark@sccaprepared.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2007 14:11:41 -0500 (EST)
Howdy,

I don't believe I ever posted on what I ended up getting....

After stopping at a home depot and playing with all the saws, I'd pretty
much made up my mind to go with the Ryobi BTS20R.  It was half the cost of
the others, the fence didn't feel terrible, etc.

Then my wife and I stopped by Home Depot to actually buy the saw.  She
liked the feel of the Rigid TS2400LS a lot better.  In addition, the Rigid
had quite a bit more room on the table in front of the saw blade, it had
wheels that were in contact with the ground when the saw was setup on the
stand (making it easy to move around), and it had a lock on the blade
depth adjustment.  It also "felt better" overall.  On the negative side,
the Ryobi has more depth of cut compared to the Rigid (Rigid maxes at
3.125", Ryobi @ 3.625").

So we ended up with that one instead of the Ryobi despite it being double
the cost.  In the little I've used it since, the saw has worked
wonderfully.  It was also very easy to setup and get working.  We went
through the full alignment procedure and most things were already perfect
and the ones that weren't were easy to correct.  Unlike the Ryobi, this
seemed like a table saw we'd use for a long time (beyond the period where
we needed portability) without any misgivings.

The local store didn't have the Bosch gravity rise stand setup.  If it
had, it'd have been in the running as well.  It seems like quite a nice
saw from the reviews, etc.

The online site homedepot.com site is now running a special on the Rigid
as well... $314.10 for a reconditioned one and $404.10 for a new one.  I
don't know if the local stores are following suit... We bought a new one
at $449.

Thanks for all the advice, etc.!

Mark