RE: Waste Oil Container

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Waste Oil Container
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2006 10:24:04 -0800
> This is my first post to the shop talk group.  For years I have been putting
> used engine oil back in the gallon jugs that the oil came in but it is a
> pain to put it back in the small hole in the plastic jug.

A big funnel, with a (shortened) spout that just fits into the jug opening will
help.

>  I see these 5
> gallon plastic paint pails with lids at Home Depot and Lowe's and wonder if
> anybody uses them to collect used oil for recycling?  I sometimes keep it in
> the garage for several months before I dump it at the parts store.  I
> wouldn't want the plastic container to dissolve in the garage.

I've not tried the ones for sale, but I get cat litter and pool chemical in
containers that appear to be the same plastic.  They will hold up for awhile,
even exposed to used motor oil, but eventually they always get brittle and crack
(even not exposed to motor oil).  Seems like maybe the motor oil accelerates the
process, but I'm not certain about that.

I've been using a 5 gal metal jerry can (sold to carry gasoline) to hold used
motor oil for many years now.  Only downside is that it's a bit heavy to hoist
over the holding tank when I turn in the oil for recycling.  And of course I
need that big funnel, which makes a bit of a mess.

Randall