Dishwasher issues

To: shop-talk Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Dishwasher issues
From: Jim Franklin <jamesf@groupwbench.org>
Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2006 12:28:19 -0500
I have a Frigidaire Gallery dishwasher whose upper spray arm has
stopped working. It's fed from a channel that runs up the side & over
to the center of the top of the DW, directing a stream of water into
a funnel on top of the upper arm which makes it spin & spray. Even on
"Upper rack only" setting, the lower rack is active.

In normal mode, the DW alternates between upper & lower rack
operation, i.e. upper rack should get water for a bit, then the
lower. From the manual- "The spray arms' operation is alternated by
small pauses of the motor during the wash cycle." It appears that
whatever changes the water flow between racks is broken, but I have
no idea what this would be. I've done the requisite cleaning of all
hand-removable parts/filters/arms.

Any ideas on what part exactly might be broken here? The manuals are
not bad but provide me no clue.

thanks,
jim

ps - manuals are on line here: