Fuel Filter choice after fuel line replacement

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Fuel Filter choice after fuel line replacement
From: Matt Wehland <mattw@webtripper.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 22:05:57 -0600
Ok, so I have the fuel sending unit and tank back in the 1990 suburban (yes
the one I asked about years ago).
I've replaced all the fuel line with bundy tubing and flare fittings, except I
had to keep small lengths of existing pipe at the firewall because of GM's
special connections.

My problem is that it leaks at the fuel filter.
The normal fuel filter for a GM seems to use a different thread/sealing
method.
I have used 2 different filters, pipe tape (big no-no I know), teflon pipe
dope (for gas lines up to way more pressure than the fuel pump will create).
Cranked down on the fitting's as hard as possible.
Still leaks.
Upon further review it seems that it may be leaking between the pipe and the
fitting, not the thread/filter interface.
IF you look at the filter this seems to make sense, there is a big hole in the
middle of the filter and nothing for the new flare fitting/pipe to seat
against.

Where can I get a fuel filter that will handle ~50lbs of pressure (throttle
body injection) and fit normal flare fittings?
Even Napa after looking through their books couldn't find anything.
None of the other 'auto parts stores' had anything.
No go at the farm supply either.

I am really tired of this lawn ornament and refuse to have it towed to the
next house.  I'm to the point of just forgetting about the filter, putting in
a piece of pipe and running it until things clog up and just walking away
from it.
Yes I am that frustrated with it.

Thanks,
Matt