Re: chain saw rec/saws to avoid?

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: chain saw rec/saws to avoid?
From: ericm@lne.com
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 12:36:04 -0700
On Mon, Oct 23, 2006 at 03:13:17PM -0400, Trevor Boicey wrote:
> Ron Schmittou wrote:
> >Just curious on the list wisdom of emptying the tank and then running
> >the carb dry before storage.
>
>   My other hobby is antique outboards, which are almost universally two
> stroke.
>
>   Personally, I have strong opinion, but often brought up in this
> discussion is that, when you run a two stroke dry on gas, you also run
> it dry on oil.

There's quite a bit of residual oil in the cases.

A single cylinder engine will run as long as there's gas in the carb.

A trials motorcycle will idle for about two minutes on a bowl
full of gas.  Of course it's still getting oil with the premix for
that time.  I wouldn't run it WFO to get rid of the gas
in the carb, since it does go lean for the last few seconds.

Eric