Small Block Chevy Exhaust Manifolds

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Small Block Chevy Exhaust Manifolds
From: "Mullen, Tim" <Tim.Mullen@ngc.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 10:40:35 -0400
Since things have been quiet for a while, I have a car related question.

Are small block Chevy (350) exhaust manifolds prone to cracking?

My son's car had a problem last year, and needed his engine replaced.
Unfortunately, it was too far away (he's at college) so I couldn't bring
the car home to do the work my self.  We had a shop install a
remanufactured engine into his car.  Now, a year later, we seem to have
an exhaust leak in the engine compartment.

She shop that did the work is dismissing the possibility that a gasket
may be leaking, instead claiming that the manifold has cracked.  I find
it difficult to believe them, since they did a piss-poor job of
installing the engine (I've had to fix many, many things that they did
wrong).  I find it odd that the exhaust manifold lasted 20 years and
100,000 miles with no problems, but within 6 months (and less than 4,000
miles) of them working on the engine, they claim it has cracked.

So, my question is, is it a common problem for Chevy small block exhaust
manifolds to crack?

Tim Mullen