Re: lawnmower repair redux

To: scott <scott.hall@comcast.net>, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: lawnmower repair redux
From: wmc_st@xxiii.com
Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2006 14:19:46 -0400
At 01:26 PM 9/3/2006, you wrote:
>I took of the carb and simonized the thing.  no plugged
>passages.  now it won't even fire at all.  spraying carb cleaner in
>the carb does get it to start, so the thing isn't

Did you say it's a Tecumseh?  A carb rebuild kit did wonders on one I
worked on last month.  Also, what are you using for initial settings
on the needle valves?  Most their carbs have a "power" valve on the
bottom of the bowl (what doubles as a bowl-holder-on'er) for high-rpm
operation, and a smaller valve on the side for low rpm.  If it has a
speed governor, it's running pretty far open almost all the time, so
most your adjustment is going to be in the lower valve.  Try turning
it in finger tight, then back it out about a 1/2 - 1 turn.    If you
can get it running, dial the valve to lean it out and get the highest
rpm, then back it off to richer just a bit from there.

I'm not an expert - that's just what Carl (friend of the family)
explained to me when he got mine running.  Funny thing is, he's blind
(well, about 97%)  But he ran a shop fixing the stuff for years, and
can  "do 'em with his eyes closed."

   -Wayne