Re: aircraftspruce.com - spam

To: "Shop-TalkList" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: aircraftspruce.com - spam
From: "Vincent Marshall" <vlm@te-motorworks.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 10:29:46 -0500 (EST)
Last week I created an account on the aircraftspruce site to request their
catalog.  Today I received their email newsletter despite leaving the
"send me a newsletter" checkbox unchecked when I created the account.  I
haven't received any messages to the address I used on the account from
any other vendors yet however.

Oh well.  It's not really an issue as I can easily filter it with
procmail, but I throught I'd add this info to the discussion.

My opinion on these things is that it may not be as intentional as we
sometimes feel like it is when we receive unsolicited commercial emails
from vendors with whom we've had dealings.  I think there is often (a) a
disconnect between people who set company policies and the people at the
company who do things like send emails and (b) a lack of understanding
that this is a Bad Thing.  In my experience, its typically not tech firms
or the like who are doing this.

-Vin

--
T.E. Motorworks, Inc.