RE: displaying load on generator

To: "shop-talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: displaying load on generator
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2006 16:05:10 -0800
> Sooooo all you electrical gurus.... other than going out and taking 10
> screws off the cover and clamping an amprobe on each leg... is there a
> circuit or 'hickey-thing' that I can  attach (without voiding my 24 hour
> warranty) so I can monitor the load on the generator ???

Easiest I would think is to install the equivalent of an Amprobe on each leg
outside of the gen set (or at least outside of where it would void your
warranty).  Basically stick a toroid core around each wire, with a winding
on the toroid.  The AC voltage from the toroid will be proportional to
current through the wire.  But you'll have to do your own calibration.

Monitoring the output voltage for each leg might give you balance, but not
percent of load.

Randall