Re: looking for suggestion on shipping

To: "Mike Rambour" <mikey@b2systems.com>
Subject: Re: looking for suggestion on shipping
From: "David Scheidt" <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2006 18:54:42 -0500
On 3/3/06, Mike Rambour <mikey@b2systems.com> wrote:

>    I have a piece of equipment to ship from PA to CA, 17771  to 93117
> zip codes, the shipper wants $525 for shipping which I think it is
> excessive.   He said I could see if I could find it for less and it
> is 600lbs.  and class 85, the class 85 apparently tells the shipping
> company the size and pallet type or something.

Density and value per pound.  Class 85 is something like 15 lbs per
cubic foot.  Cost per pound depends on the classification.  Freight
rating is something of a black art.

>    Looking on the web now but not finding anything much cheaper and
> looking for suggestions on shipping/trucking companies.

I'd be inclined to think that's not a bad rate, actually.   Freight
rates have gone up a lot in the last couple years.

--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt@gmail.com