RE: Adding a bid circuit and and electrical breaker questions

To: "'shop-talk'" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Adding a bid circuit and and electrical breaker questions
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 13:52:48 -0800
> Does your subpanel have a main breaker in it?  If so, the wire would need
> to be at least big enough for that.

Nope, no breaker for the entire subpanel, in either the subpanel or the main
box.

> Otherwise, I'd want wire big enough to handle any possible load you could
> configure in that subpanel.  Not sure how practical that would be.

Agreed.  But since the subpanel is only a couple of inches away from the
main panel, using "main line" gauge wire to feed it was probably cheaper
than another breaker for it.

> In either case, I'd want to check codes...

Always a good idea.  I assume my installation met code in 1968 since there
was a permit taken out, but there have been just a couple of changes since
then <G>  And there are a few other oddities that lead me to believe corners
were cut that perhaps should not have been cut.

Randall