Batteries for winch gantry

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Batteries for winch gantry
From: Derek Harling <dereklola@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2006 20:01:58 -0800 (PST)
Thx all for your suggestions. Unfortunately most of you
recommended deep cycle batteries, or just simply bigger
batteries, but both are far too heavy for my application -
I need to be able to lift the battery one handed to head
height. Also both suggestions are more expensive than the
garden tractor utility battery.

It seems the biggest mistake I've been making is not
re-charging immediately after the deep draw use - of course
my mind's on the race car not the winch battery! Even so
I've been averaging two years use which ain't too bad for a
$30 battery. If I can't afford $15/yr I better give up
racing.

Other people have tried wheelchair batteries with similar
ratings but much higher cost and got no longer life. Also
some have suggested ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid or VX-6
[which may be he same thing] to de-sulphate the plates
after heavy use or prolonged storage. Maybe it works but it
sounds a bit like infinite gas mileage to me.

So - guess I'll continue using cheap garden tractor
batteries and just re-charge them more often.

Derek