RE: Dehumidifier output = distilled water?

To: "Shop talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Dehumidifier output = distilled water?
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 12:55:10 -0800
> Is the water coming out of the dehumidifier
> pretty much
> equivalent to distilled water?

As far as mineral content, yes.  But I wouldn't call it "clean" since it
will also have condensed anything else that happened to be in the air
(smoke, dust, pollen, etc.)

>  Is there a
> simple way to test
> for mineral content in the water, which I guess is the only thing
> I'd need to
> be worried about?

One way is to put it in a pan on the stove and heat until the water boils
away.  Any mineral content will be visible as discoloration (usually white)
on the inside of the pan.

There are also inexpensive mineral test kits sold for swimming pools,
although they might be a bit hard to find around Seattle  this time of year
<G>  Last time I bought one, ISTR I paid $12 for a "7-way" test kit at Home
Depot, that included a test for mineral content.  The cheaper ("4-way" ?)
kit only tested chlorine and pH.

Randall