Which Plug/Receptacle for a 230V Compressor?

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Which Plug/Receptacle for a 230V Compressor?
From: doug@dougbraun.com
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 13:32:00 -0500

shop-talk supported in part by Fat Chance Garage
http://fatchancegarage.com

Hello,

I want to wire up a receptacle for my shiny new compressor,
which requires a 230V 30-amp circuit.  While browsing
HD's electrical section, I see a plethora of plugs and receptacles
that could be used.

I saw:

The traditional 3-wire 30A dryer plug
The newer 4-wire dryer plug
One or two plugs that looked like regular 120V plugs on steroids
A couple of twist-to-lock plugs

Any advice which is best?  (This is for straight 230V service, not 120/240V
service.)
Also, If I ever get a 230V corded tool, like a welder, which plug is it most
likely to have?

Thanks,

Doug Braun