Electric Radiant Floor Heating

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Electric Radiant Floor Heating
From: David Hillman <hillman@planet-torque.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 16:28:41 -0500 (EST)

shop-talk supported in part by Fat Chance Garage
http://fatchancegarage.com

   I know this has come up here before, so hopefully someone can just
point me in the right direction.

   We've got a ~400 ft^2 ground floor family room ( actually ~3' below
ground ) with nothing but ancient vinyl tiles over concrete, now that
we've pulled up and disposed of the old carpet.  My wife insists on no
more carpet, for bad reasons that I can't talk her out of, and I don't
want an ice-cold floor in the family room.

  So, I'm looking at radiant heat under the Pergo we will soon be laying
down.  Electric seems like the way to go here.  List prices on the matting
seem to be around $8/ft^2, but I found at least one place where orders
over 300' are 50% off, or around $4.50/ft^2.  Is that as good as it gets?
Hydronic seems a lot cheaper, as far as material, but with a huge increase
in labor, for this application.

   What do I need to know?  Am I going to need to remove those ancient
tiles?  The manufacturers I've checked with specifically say their product
is fine under various laminate floors, but are there some that are not?

   Thanks.

--
 David Hillman