Re: Compressor plumbing detail

To: doug@dougbraun.com, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Compressor plumbing detail
From: "David C." <cavanadd@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 20:15:00 -0800

shop-talk supported in part by Fat Chance Garage
http://fatchancegarage.com

No, globe and ball valves are different.  Globe valves have a stem and seat
that rises when you turn the handle.  Think of a bathroom sink faucet with
a hot and cold knob (not a unilever).  These are globe valves.

A ball valve is a ball with a hole through it, and a stem on top.  You turn
it 1/4 turn to open or close.  I don't know why you couldn't use a (good
quality) one on air service; they are used all the time as blowdown and
isolation valves on air compressors; I just used one today to blow the
water out of a pneumatic control compressor tank.

Dave C