Re: MIG aluminum w/ C-25?

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MIG aluminum w/ C-25?
From: Wayne <wmc_st@xxiii.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2005 12:03:04 -0500

shop-talk supported in part by Fat Chance Garage
http://fatchancegarage.com

At 11:04 AM 11/9/2005, Marc wrote:
>I need to make 4 small welds on aluminum. I have a spool of alum
>wire for my MIG, but my shielding gas tank is 75% Argon / 25% Co2.
>I was thinking about experimenting on some scraps with Alum & C-25,
>just wondering if anyone has BTDT? Will it work acceptably, or a waste of time?

My buddy has a MIG setup.  He tried doing Al with C25 and it was
terrible!  An ugly oxidized splattered mess.  Not just ugly either,
but not a structurally sound weld.

So he got a bottle of pure argon.  Much better results.  But feeding
Al wire down the hose is problematic.  When it would feed at all, the
feed was erratic making it difficult to get good welds.  That's why
they make "spool guns" -- but of course they're expensive too.

    -Wayne