Fwd: Main Circuit Breaker (lack of)

To: Shop-Talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fwd: Main Circuit Breaker (lack of)
From: Doug Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 18:54:01 -0800 (PST)

shop-talk supported in part by Fat Chance Garage
http://fatchancegarage.com

Hello,

The home I recently bought was built in the 70's and
is overall pretty well-built (no aluminum wiring,
etc.).  But I noticed that neither the the main
electrical panel, or the box outside with the meter,
has a master circuit breaker or any other way of
cutting off the power to everything at once.

In this type of system, how is it possible to safely
work inside the box, for example to replace a
defective breaker?  It is necessary to remove the
electrical meter itself to shut off the power?  Can
this even be done without getting the electric company
involved?

BTW, the main panel is an ITE Pushmatic model where
the breakers are screwed to the bus bars and can't
simply be unplugged from a live box like modern ones.

Thanks,

Doug Braun