Fusable links

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Fusable links
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 18:50:39 -0500

shop-talk supported in part by Fat Chance Garage
http://fatchancegarage.com

Sorry for this question, but I know many of you are on the various car
list, so I figured I'd have better luck here than trying the various
car lists.

I've got a friend that's building a hot rod.  He's now at the wiring stage.
I was over at his house 2 nights ago, and he was showing me what he's doing.
The 1st thing I noticed is that the main lead off the starter solenoid to
supply his fuse block did not have a fuse or link in it.  I suggested that
he might want to do this.  Well he called me back this evening.  He found
a fusable link in the wiring kit.  Then he started asking questions I
couldn't answer.

So I've spend about 1 hr searching the web for info on them to no avail.
I figured I'd come to the well of knowledge and see if I can't get better
answers quicker than what I was finding, surfing.

My questions about fusable links are:

1.  I know they come in different colors for the different sizes.  But I
    can't find anything to say how the size equates to the current limiting.
    Ie. a Black - 12 gauge.  What is its current rating?

2.  Can you replace a fusable link with a fuse?  If so, again what size fuse
    for what color fusable link.

3.  Why are they soldered in line?  Can you crimp and solder a connector on
    to the ends of the link, so that if it blows, you don't have to cut
    the wire apart?  Mearly unplug the link, crimp on connectors and plug
    back into the existing wire and connectors.

TIA

John

Phone:  (757) 495-8229

                       65 Rambler Classic