Re: Building a blast cabinet from a kit

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Building a blast cabinet from a kit
From: "Eric J Russell" <ejrussell@mebtel.net>
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 18:09:25 -0500

shop-talk supported in part by Fat Chance Garage
http://fatchancegarage.com

Subject: Building a blast cabinet from a kit

>  Has anyone built one of these?  Do you think it is possible to use
> thinner wood for some

I built my blast cabinet based on the picture in the Tip catalog (but
I didn't buy/follow their plans). I used 1/2" plywood, even for the
legs (IIRC, the Tip plans show some angle iron legs).

Plenty sturdy. The only advantage to 3/4" ply would be easier to make
strong joints - more glue surface, easier to drive screws/nails, etc.
I used biscuits & glue for joints. The trickiest joint is the compound
angles for the hopper section.

One thing I added was a layer of 'resist' on the back wall. This is a
1/8" thick rubbery sheet used for making blast stencils. A friend in
the sign business gave me a piece about 2'x3'.

I also built a large cabinet for a friend. It was about 6' x 4' x 4'.
It was also built out of 1/2" plywood.

Eric Russell
Mebane, NC
http://home.mebtel.net/~ejrussell