Re: Modern Marvels

To: Eric@megageek.com
Subject: Re: Modern Marvels
From: David Scheidt <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 12:16:26 -0500
On 10/13/05, Eric@megageek.com <Eric@megageek.com> wrote:

> AutoZone uses the vehicle registations to know what kind of cars are in the
> area of their stores.  During the interview, the owner of one of the stores
> made it sound like they also have an idea of what breaks and when.  He
> said... (from memory)
> "We not only know how many 9 year old Ford Tarsus are out there, but we
> know what they should need soon."

Well, sure.  You'd be nuts if you didn't.  It costs a lot to stock an
autoparts store.  It costs even more to stock an autoparts store with
parts you won't sell, even if you engage in the sort of
anti-competitive practices that autozone does.  If you know what the
vehicle population is, you can get a pretty good sense of what you're
going to sell, based on what you've sold in the past.  It's pretty
basic data analysis.

--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt@gmail.com