Re: Harbor Freight Bandsaw

To: "Eugene D Abbondelo" <eabb@loc.gov>, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Harbor Freight Bandsaw
From: doug@dougbraun.com
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2005 08:25:46 -0400
I got a cheap 9" bandsaw from Sears last fall.  The blade was too
coarse-toothed,
and had a lumpy joint.  Than I bought some good blades from these guys:

http://www.toolcenter.com/Lenox/

They were about the only place I could find that sold good blades in the
smaller sizes.

Their blades cut better, and did not wander around at all.  Also, you can get
them
made to order, if your saw tales an oddball length (I needed 56 1/8").

The saw itself (a blue "Companion" brand for $59) was surprisingly good.  I
looked
at all the usual $100-range 9" and 10" saws at Sears, HD, Lowes, etc. and this
one was at least as good as any of them.  It has more metal in the body
casting, so
it flexes less when in use.  Some of the others (especially Ryobi) had more
cute features,
but the bodies and tables were often very flimsy.

Doug Braun