RE: Auto trans fluif leak

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Auto trans fluif leak
From: "Chas. Schlismann" <racegt6@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2005 22:04:15 -0700 (PDT)
Randall <tr3driver@comcast.net> wrote:
> Sounds like there's a good chance the trans overheated for
whatever reason. I assume you have a trans cooler inside a radiator tank ...
has it ever been cleaned/serviced ?<

It's been three years but not too many miles ago, certainly <10k

>Also, does the fluid ever turn brown or smell funny ? My Dodge motorhome used
to overheat the trans for no apparent reason ... an aftermarket oil cooler fixed
it.<

Fluid's always looked clean, clear and deliciously red; though my Chevy 3500
dually TD's (9 mpg) ATF turns brown with such a cooler and must be flushed
yearly (used only for towing a loaded 36 foot trailer approx 15k mi/yr)

>1) Are you sure you're following the right factory procedures for checking
>trans
fluid level ?<

Yup

>2) Are you sure the dipstick tube is tight wherever it enters the housing ? And
that it has whatever supports it's supposed to have ? I had an Olds once that
would leak only at certain speeds ... turned out the dipstick tube would
resonate and bend enough to leak at the push-joint to the housing.<

Nope, good idea.  I'm thinking it must be something like this that causes
infrequent, but financially devastating episodes.  FWIW, my wife is convinced
that it was a result of winching an MG with locked brakes onto a trailer with
the running (but in Park) truck as an anchor.  Sounds like nonsense to me, but
her suggestion to stick to Triumphs to avoid this sort of hoodoo appeals to my
illogical side.

I guess my problem is that I haven't had an auto trans fail since 1970 (Merc
Turnpike Cruiser) and thus, the vast majority of my cars have had gearboxes.
I'm guessing they're analogous to a hydraulic pump, but until I learn more,
they're just black boxes to me.

Thanks, Charlie