Re: Belt drive lawn tractor... needs belts?

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Belt drive lawn tractor... needs belts?
From: "E. John Puckett" <ejpuckett@centurytel.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 18:32:14 -0500
If this is the smae type I used to have, which your description sounds
like, there are 2 dirve blets, one form the engien to a center pulley,
and a second one form the center pulley to the transaxle.  The middle
sheave of the center pu;;ey moves up and down in sesponce to the speed
lever tightening the belts, and works with a centrfical pulley to change
the speed.  On mine the 3 pins that the cneter sheave slide on had
become worn, and it would stick unless persuaded a little.  Replacing
the 3 pins and lubricating the pulley aong with a new set of belts soved
the problem.  It has bene several years ago that I sold mine, but at
that time universla belts from an auto parts store would not work
properly.  To get correct speeds I had to buy Sears belts.