Re: Engineering 101

To: Mike Rambour <mikey@b2systems.com>
Subject: Re: Engineering 101
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 16:24:49 -0400
Mike Rambour wrote:

>   oh no, I am starting to have senior moments at my young age, honest I
> went to McMaster and searched but I didn't think of BEVEL gears, geez, I
> was looking for some super complex high tech gearing system that NASA
> would be proud of and could not find any such thing and all I had to
> think of was BEVEL gears.

   You might also be thinking of hypoid gears, which are essentially the
same as bevel gears but don't share a common axis...

   Picture here:

http://www.arrowgear.com/images/hypoid_gear.JPG

   Hypoid gears are usually smoother, since there is continuous gear
contact. With straight-cut bevel gears, the movement is often a bit
gravelly as individual teeth mesh and unmesh noticeably.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca