RE: 220v single phase wire size

To: Randall <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Subject: RE: 220v single phase wire size
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 12:19:42 -0700
> For 220vac single phase outlets in a garage, what plug configuration
> should I be using?

The 4-prong will certainly give you the most flexibility.

OTOH I can't think of anything I'm likely to use in my garage that requires a
neutral, except perhaps an old kitchen oven for powder coating.  Even there it
would probably only use it for lights or timers, no big deal to do without (or
run a cord to a 110v outlet).  So especially if I already had the wire, I might
be tempted to convert to 3-wire grounding.

But I've been 'bit' too many times by ungrounded or improperly grounded
equipment to have any interest in running non-grounded outlets.  The temptation
to leave the safety ground open is just too great.

Of course, I still haven't replaced the ground pin on my old Milwaukee drill
motor, so I don't always practice what I preach <G>

Randall