Re: Propane tanks

To: "PJ McGarvey" <pj_mcgarvey@hotmail.com>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Propane tanks
From: "Marknsuz" <marknsuz@pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 17:43:17 -0700
"PJ McGarvey" asked:

> Is it common to see propane tanks that perform differently?  I've often
> wondered why when using my gas grill, one day "low" will be way too much
> heat, and "high" the next time is just right.  Only when I tried to use a
> space heater in my garage this past winter and a outdoor lamp heater
> recently did I seem to noticed that from one tank to the next, performance
> stinks.  The space heater would barely get red hot using a particular
> tank.  Both were filled at the same time, and were kept in the same
> conditions, etc.  These are the 20lb variety.  Something with the valve I
> assume?

Another input: on my BBQ I sometimes get very low heat after changing tanks.
Undoing the regulator, whacking it on my leg (percussive maintenance), and
then reattaching it (the valve, the leg stays attached the whole time)
usually fixes the problem.  I'm guessing a bit of moisture or dirt gets into
the tank fitting when its off.

HTH,
Mark Miller