Re: Tool cabinets ...

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Tool cabinets ...
From: "Arvid Jedlicka" <arvidj@visi.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 15:14:14 -0600
>I have been given permission to acquire a large tool box. What has caught
>my eye is the stainless steel cabinets that are available at Sam's Club,
>CostCo ...

Ok, I bought the one at Sam's.

The Good parts:

It seems to be well constructed, very reasonable fit and finish, and priced
very right for the capacity $639.

The ... parts:

As suggested, the stainless readily accepts fingerprints.

The pop rivets do not appear to be a "durability of construction" issue but
if the post part of the rivet comes loose and falls into a sealed area of the
drawer [the blind/sealed area being why you would use a pop rivet in the
first place], you end up with a drawer that rattles when you open or close
it.

I would suggest the CostCo set is a better arrangement for the drawers.
The Sam's Club drawers are full width and I have a feeling that the span
may be at the upper limit of what the bottom of the drawer and the slides
can handle. The CostCo drawers are in a 2/3rds - 1/3rd span and I think
the narrower drawers will be much more inside the performance envelope
of the slides.

Arvid